[yocto] Building on MacOS X

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Jan 12 07:38:33 PST 2017

On 1/12/17 9:14 AM, Roger Smith wrote:
> Is there any documentation for running the Yocto build system on Mac OS X or
> macOS as Apple now calls it? I am working with the Intel Aero board. Before I go
> down the rabbit hole of fixing issues like this one (and I am using the bash
> shell), I’d like to know if anyone has build it on os x before.

As far as I am aware, nobody has ever finished this work.

There are numerous places (scripts primarily) that will expect GNU
util-linux/coreutils (and similar) extensions.

In addition, the pseudo program, used to emulate filesystem permissions and
related items only partially works on MacOS.  (I know it was working at one
point, but Apple changed some of the system properties [preloaded library] for
security reasons, and ended up making pseudo no longer work.  You may want to
look into this before getting too far in.  Without pseudo, there is no way to
perform a build/package.)

Some -very- old work:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib-archive/refs/heads

search for macosx

(I'd love to see a native bitbake/oe-core work on MacOS X... but as far as I
know the work stalled a while back due to lack of interest by people.)

Most of the people I know using MacOS X for development are using virtual box
(or similar) and a Linux based VM.

--Mark