[yocto] Intermittent Kernel Boot Hang 4.8/Intel Z5 Atom

Chris Trobridge christrobridge at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 03:55:32 PST 2017

Advice on how to proceed with this?

Current Yocto (morty) kernels include 4.1, 4.4 that work and 4.8 that doesn't.

Intermittent hang during power-on kernel boots before/without any diagnostic output.  Can I compile the kernel to output more than boot options allow?

I could fix this BSP to 4.4 (if that will hang around) and this is old hardware so it won't hang around for more than a few years.

I can't find anything that appears related to this on the web.  Not sure about going through intermediate kernel versions with yocto other than going back to older versions of poky for ones that are missing.  I thought about the Linux kernel site but nothing in bugzilla or archives and this may not be of sufficient interest without more information.

Thanks,
Chris