[yocto] couple questions about kernel-dev manual, section 2.6, "emenlow" branch

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 05:39:35 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

>   still working my way through the kernel-dev manual, and a couple
> oddities in section 2.6.
>
>   first, the example given uses the (alleged) standard/emenlow branch,
> which i'm pretty sure doesn't exist anymore, yes? if one is going to
> use an example, i suggest one base that example on one of the YP
> reference BSPs that's guaranteed to always exist, such as beagleboard
> or arm-versatile-926ejs.

I can't say that one will always exist .. but the arm-versatile branch has
been around for years, and until the qemuarm target changes to use something
else, it will continue to be around.

>   next, i'm assuming that one would be running those "git whatchanged"
> commands in the project directory, under
> tmp/work-shared/<target>/kernel-source, yes? it's just not made clear
> in that section where a reader would be doing those things.

Correct.

>   finally, section 2.6.1 reads:
>
> "Here is an example that looks at what has changed in the emenlow
> branch of the linux-yocto-3.19 kernel."
>
>   what does the kernel version of 3.19 have to do with those git
> commands? how do those commands depend on the particular version of
> the linux-yocto recipe you're using?

At one point I was changing the branching structure, and the kernel meta
data was in the same repo as the kernel source, so that could change some
of the commands.

But nothing has changed on that front in quite some time, so the answer
is "they don't depend on the version you are using" .. so the version
reference
could be dropped.

Bruce

> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"