[yocto] Trying to build yocto-morty on ubuntu-16, machine reboots in the middle of the build

akuster808 akuster808 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:21:22 PST 2017

On 2/25/17 8:16 AM, Joshua Watt wrote:

> On 02/24/2017 11:36 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:
>>
>> On 23 February 2017 at 13:24, William McKinney <sigsbeeus at mac.com
>> <mailto:sigsbeeus at mac.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I’m trying to build the yocto-morty release on an ubuntu 16.04.2
>>     LTS box with 16GB of memory and plenty of disk space.  More than
>>     once the machine appears to just reboot in the middle of the
>>     build.  Has anyone else experienced this?  The krogoth and jethro
>>     release build successfully on the same box.
>>

>> Sounds like you've got hardware problems - obviously there's nothing
>> that Yocto can be doing to induce a reboot.
>>
>> I'd start with a memcheck and extended SMART tests.
> FWIW, I was having similar problems and a good blast of compressed air
> to my CPU heat sink fixed the problem. I ran 'dmesg -w' while building
> and it was pretty obvious that my CPU was overheating because I got a
> lot of messages like:
>
> [ 3657.188178] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
> [ 3957.206279] CPU2: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock
> throttled (total events = 1005969)
>
> I wonder if there are some changes in Morty that make it better utilize
> the CPU compared to the other releases?

It's not just Morty. I have had this issue with other releases and on
Master. In my cases, the issues tend to be limited to building on
laptops. I have not seen this on towers or servers.

Try tuning your build to reduce the number for cpus and threads used.
see  PARALLEL_MAKE and BB_NUMBER_THREADS.

- armin