[yocto] Set aside some packages as supplement to the rootfs creation

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Wed Feb 15 12:06:12 PST 2017

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:09:30 +0000
Darcy Watkins <dwatkins at sierrawireless.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to build an image target in such a way that 'bitbake image-target' builds the target as follows:
>
> 1.  All of the packages are built for this target, including the RPMs
> 2.  Some of the packages are designated as NOT to be installed into the rootfs generated for the target at build time
> 3.  They need to be available in the RPM feed to be installed on the target subsequent to flashing the rootfs image
> 4.  Need some sort of supplemental manifest that lists these packages that were built, but are NOT in the rootfs
>
> Are there some variables, bbclasses, etc set up to facilitate this?

I've done this before by creating a pair of recipes, let's say
'image-target' and 'project-target'. You would run 'bitbake
project-target' instead of 'bitbake image-target' to start the build.

* image-target is a normal image recipe including everything you want
  in the rootfs

* project-target DEPENDS on image-target as well as every other package
  you want to be available in the package feed

I'm not sure if there are any extra steps you need to take to update an
RPM package feed though, I usually work with ipk packages.

Thanks,
Paul