[yocto] [wic] Fixed size partitions (--grow)

Maciej Borzęcki maciej.borzecki at rndity.com
Tue Feb 14 03:35:50 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Maciej Pijanowski
<maciej.pijanowski at 3mdeb.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding wic. If this is not appropriate list to ask,
> then
> please point me to correct one.
>
> wic seems like a really simple and powerful tool. My intention was to create
> disk image with multiple partitions with fixed size. While the first part
> seems
> doable, the second does not. I have found a suggestion there [1] that recent
> wic may support --grow and --maxsize switches. As I found out, it does not
> (correct me if I'm mistaken).
>
> So the question is, how hard would it be to implement those options and
> what would be necessary to do so. Those are available in kickstart [2]. As
> far
> as I understand, wic is based on kickstart project. Do you think it is
> desired
> that wic would have the ability to produce fixed size partition based on
> yocto
> images?

There's a --fixed-size partition option, albeit it's not really that
documented. See `wic help kickstart` for details.

We're also currently using it in Mender [1] when building disk images.

Some additional usage examples can be found in patchset adding wic
tests that I posted [2]. I don't think it was merged and unfortunately
I didn't really have time to rebase.

1. https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender/blob/master/meta-mender-core/classes/mender-sdimg.bbclass#L154
2. https://patchwork.openembedded.org/series/4708/#

--