[yocto] How to configure an UTF-8 locale in Yocto?

Fabio Emiliani fabio.emiliani at artgroup-spa.com
Thu Feb 2 07:24:31 PST 2017

Dear all,

I'm trying to add an UTF-8 locale to my Yocto build. In detail I'm
trying to build using the following options:

> GLIBC_GENERATE_LOCALES = "en_GB.UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8"
> IMAGE_LINGUAS = "en-gb"
As result of the build I see the en_GB locale but not the en_GB.utf8.
Why the utf8 encoded version of the locale is not generated?

Looking in the docs I've found several options:

> LOCALE_UTF8_ONLY="1"
> LOCALE_UTF8_IS_DEFAULT="1"
none of them had effects on the build.

I've tried also to include the following packages:

> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " glibc-utils localedef"
The "locale" tool has been correctly istalled, the tool gives the same
result of "localectl" (systemd-localed). No utf8 locales detected.

Have you ever used a locale such as en_US.utf or en_GB.utf8 on Yocto? If
yes, how?

Thanks in advance for your time

Regards,

Fabio Emiliani

--

*Fabio Emiliani*

*/Software Engineer/*

/Ph. +39 075 8298 532/

/fabio.emiliani at artgroup-spa.com/ <mailto:fabio.emiliani at artgroup-spa.com>

DISCLAIMER
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy or
disclose all or any part of it without the prior written consent of ART SpA.

/ART SpA – Step Forward With US - //www.artgroup-spa.com/logo_ART_firma-1//

/Ph. +39 075 8298 501 – Fax +39 075 8298 525 /

P*Please consider our environment  before printing this e-mail***