[yocto] Installing iperf3 causes strange image corruption

Wilde, DonaldX donaldx.wilde at intel.com
Wed Feb 1 12:28:59 PST 2017

Hello, Yocto co-workers -

Our project in CHD uses the poky version Daisy, which does not include iperf3. We've decided that we just have to have the newer version built into our firmware to get the results we need.

One of our much better - but very busy, naturally - people took the Yocto recipes for iperf3 from poky 1.8 (fido) and adapted them for our build.

Unfortunately, what happens is that somewhere along the line after the initial patch and compilation, something in our image gets radically corrupted. With IMAGE_INCLUDE += "iperf3" set, the image is corrupted. Horrible results occur including that much of our NVRAM content becomes invisible and we get dumped into some kind of emergency debugging shell after about 6.3 seconds.

Here's what I want to do, and please tell me if I'm all wet. What I want to do is to find an intermediate target that will enable me to activate every task up through populate_sysroot so that I can do a diff tree on three versions of tmp/sysroots: one with no iperf recipes, one with everything enabled, and one with everything but the image including process activating iperf3.

The strange thing is that iperf3 built from the recipes does work properly even with the image whacked to un-usability. I suspected that some global variable was getting overridden but I can't see it in the iperf3-specific recipe and autoconf  patch.

I do see that iperf3 is being added to a Yocto-generated file called toe.c, but I don't know what that means yet.

In particular, this is a portion of our log that I want to look at, though what is happening to make it fail to generate this file correctly at this point is as yet unclear:

starting pid 1363, tty '': '/etc/init.d/rcS'
can't run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory

Please press Enter to activate this console.
starting pid 1364, tty '': '-/bin/sh'

Don Wilde
Intel Connected Home Division