[yocto] How to config kernel in my own meta layer?

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Sat Dec 23 06:49:56 PST 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-21 at 10:32 -0500, Fan Zhang wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a recipes that requires 128MB of CMA allocation for DMA. I
> followed the instruction in  http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6/ker
> nel-dev/kernel-dev.html#changing-the-configuration and did the
> following:
>
> My recipes structure:
>

> meta-mylayer\recipes-my\uio-test\
>
> 1. Then in uio-test folder, I have uio-test.bb

[...]

> My question: I think the cfg file is being parsed because if I change
> the folder name files to something else, bitbake will complaint about
> not being able to find uio-test.cfg. However, the final .config in
> built do not have the CMA allocated.

I suspect there's a fundamental misunderstanding. Your uio-test.bb is a
separate recipe, and therefore its content has no effect whatsoever on
the kernel configuration.

The right place to add your "file://uio-test.cfg" is in a .bbappend for
the kernel that you are building. But as Bruce said, that kernel must
be derived from linux-yocto.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.