[yocto] how to deal with the dependency explosion caused by enabling x11vnc

Davis Roman davis.roman84 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 18:53:26 PST 2017

Hello,

 I'd like to put a vnc server on my target.

My embedded target has an onboard display and runs an application that
drives the display directly via the framebuffer. ( no xorg onboard )

I would like to use x11vnc ( with the --rawfb option ) however I'm
having a hard time justifying the load of dependencies that it brings
along with it. (Almost 100MB.)

With the --rawfb option, x11vnc does not require a X server ( just
libX11) to be onboard however I'm required to add x11 to
DISTRO_FEATURES otherwise x11vnc won't compile.

(x11vnc even drags gtk3 along with it which seems unnecessary.)

My goal is to only add the minimum number of x11vnc depencies.

Any advice on how to slim this down would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Davis