[yocto] add kernel modules & dtbo's for Raspberry Pi3

Greg Wilson-Lindberg GWilson at sakuraus.com
Wed Dec 20 15:40:50 PST 2017

I'm building an image for the Raspberry Pi 3 and I'm trying to add some modules to the kernel and I need to add some device tree overlays. The modules and overlays are part of the kernel, just not built by default.

For the kernel modules I've added a linux-raspberrypi_4.4.bbappend file in the path .../recipes-bsp/linux. The file consists of:

# Scribe additions to Kernel configuration

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend += "$(THISDIR)/files"
SRC_URI += "file://Scribe.cfg"

Whether I use "+=" or ":=" as suggested in "Embedded Linux Systems withe the Yocto Project", I get an error that "file://0001-fix-dtbo-rules.patch" cannot be found. I don't get this error if my .bbappend file is not being used.

Also, if there are any quick tips on how to add dtbo's to the kernel build I would appreciate them.

Regards,

Greg