[yocto] How to disable a linux virtual terminal...

Mirza Krak mirza.krak at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:18:01 PST 2017

> Hi all,
>

> Would anyone know how to disable the virtual terminals in linux?  I am using
> Yocto, Morty version on an i.MX6 processor.  Even though our base
> distribution is Yocto, unfortunately we have diverged from building it with
> recipes, so this is more of a straight linux question than Yocto…
>

> To give some detail as to my problem:  It is for an embedded device that has
> an HDMI port - when I attach a terminal to the HDMI port it shows the Linux
> Penguin logo, a getty service and blanks out after 600 seconds.  I just want
> to use the hdmi port as an output with nothing displayed on the output and I
> want it to stay on all the time.
>

> I have found that the hdmi port maps to /dev/tty1 – when I type:  echo
> “asdfasdf” > /dev/tty1 I see the characters output to the monitor.
>

> Here are a few things I have tried to no avail – a lot of these are not
> needed if I can figure out how to disable it as a virtual terminal…
>

> ·         I figured out how to disable the getty service but a cursor still
> blinks.   I don’t even want a cursor to show

Normally you disable the cursor with a kernel argument:

    vt.global_cursor_default=0

You probably also need to remove "console=tty1" from kernel arguments
to avoid to getting "boot prints"

< snip >

> Disabling the logo or console blanking would not be necessary if I could
> just figure out how to disable that port as a terminal…
>

> So does anyone have pointers or things I could try?  I am relatively new
> (returning after 10 years - I worked with DNX 10 years ago v2.6 and it seems
> everything I knew about init is fairly obsolete lol) to linux so I am sure I
> am missing a lot…

Well it sounds to me that you would like to disable the framebuffer
console completely.

Removing (=n) the

    CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE

config should definitely get rid of most of the things that you
mentioned. But normally you would not disable it completely if you
would like to display a "boot screen" / splashscreen but if you do not
want it you can safely remove that option.

--
Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards

Mirza Krak