[yocto] externalsrc + sstate why is not compatible?

Koehler, Yannick yannick.koehler at hpe.com
Tue Dec 5 18:15:35 PST 2017

In our situation, we have many packages that are in-house, as such we use a local folder for the several in-house modules.  To do so, we need to use externalsrc to point to the local code so that the git repo contains both the code + recipe, instead of 20 repos (1 per packages) and 1 more for yocto recipe which complicates things when you want to submit a change.

Yet, the externalsrc disable the setscene tasks and set the BB_DONTCACHE variable.  I altered the script to remove those but then a change to the externalsrc folder is not detected. I wonder if it is because the S variable is set past the sstate algorithm and is then unable to consider the externalsrc folder as the real source location.  Any expert on this matter that can guide me to either make sstate works for external src or teach me how to have code + recipe in a single git repo.  I am certainly not the only case using such a pattern.

--

Yannick Koehler