[yocto] how to know Poky kernel version before running it

Steve Pavao stevep at korgrd.com
Fri Dec 1 09:11:49 PST 2017

Is there a definitive way to know at/after build time what kernel version is being built via a particular bitbake of Poky?

I don’t have the board on hand to boot the result of my work right now; it is a scout build for a board I’m getting soon.

I’m trying to figure it out by browsing the console-latest.log and looking for the highest kernel version I can observe from the recipes used.  Is there a better way to find this out at build time?

Knowing the kernel version would help me decide what version of a patch to apply to go along with it.

Steve Pavao
Korg R&D