[yocto] Python recipes wanted?

Tim Orling ticotimo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 20:26:24 PDT 2017

When you say "meta-oe", I assume you mean "meta-openembedded/meta-python"
[1]. That layer is where they belong.

There is no rule as to what is "wanted", but since you took the trouble to
write recipes, we can all benefit from your effort. But, I would add some
general guidelines:

1. Make sure the python package is the latest release and the patch applies
on top of "master".
2. Use the pypi.bbclass [2] with  "inherit pypi" to simplify the recipe (no
SRC_URI for pythonhosted is needed)
3. Many folks are still using Python 2 as well, so many recipes put the
heart of the metadata in an ".inc" file and the ${PYTHON_PN} (expands to
python or python3) version specific things (e.g. "inherit setuptools3") in
the .bb file. There are many examples in meta-python. This is not a
requirement, but is strongly encouraged.
4. Help maintain the recipes in meta-python. Don't just send your recipe
and never look at it again. The amount of metadata in meta-openembedded is
a challenge to maintain [3]. Maintenance is aided by, for instance, adding
INHERIT += "distrodata" [4] to your local.conf and running "bitbake
python-foo -c check_pkg" to check for new upstream versions [5]. You can
also run "distrodata" on your entire image [6]. This can be automated.

Also, looking at your python*-uvloop issue on Github [7], if upstream does
not want the patches that is OK, just include them with your recipe for
meta-python and put "Upstream-Status: Inappropriate (embedded specific)" or
similar in the patch itself. See the commit patch message guidelines [8].
You should also follow the README in meta-python [9] and the OpenEmbedded
patch submission guidelines [10].

[1] http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-python
[2]
http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-python/classes/pypi.bbclass