[yocto] Custom recipe - resolving "do_package_qa: QA Issue: -dev package contains non-symlink .so"

Jussi Kukkonen jussi.kukkonen at intel.com
Tue Aug 22 07:13:58 PDT 2017

On 22 August 2017 at 16:43, <colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com> wrote:

> I have a custom recipe (for the AWS SDK), which is failing at the
package_qa
> stage.
> The recipe is a very basic cmake styley, and on its own seems to begin
with:
> 'bitbake -f -c package aws-sdk'  completes without errors.
>
> But for 'bitbake -c package_qa aws-sdk) I get:
>
> ERROR: aws-sdk-1.1.31-r0 do_package_qa: QA Issue: -dev package contains
> non-symlink .so: aws-sdk-dev path

'/work/armv7a-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/aws-sdk/1.1.31-r0/packages-split/aws-s
> dk-dev/usr/lib/libaws-cpp-sdk-core.so'
> -dev package contains non-symlink .so: aws-sdk-dev path

'/work/armv7a-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/aws-sdk/1.1.31-r0/packages-split/aws-s
> dk-dev/usr/lib/libaws-cpp-sdk-s3.so' [dev-elf]
>
> I'd appreciate help with resolving this. Thanks.>

It looks like aws-sdk installs .so files that are actual libraries (and not
symlinks to the versioned libraries as would be the usual case). The best
solution would be to get aws to install versioned libraries but if that's
not an option, you probably want to package the .so files in the actual
library package, not the -dev package (which is the default since usually
.so are symlinks for development and the actually versioned ).

You may have to set both FILES_${PN}-dev and FILES_${PN} (so the former
doesn't grab the so files, and the latter does)

HTH,
  Jussi