[yocto] Idea for bbappend / layer organization and naming convention

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Aug 18 12:35:17 PDT 2017

On 8/18/17 1:47 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 08/18/2017 10:46 AM, Gunnar Andersson wrote:

>>> I've been using a similar naming/sorting mechanism in layers that
>>> I maintain for several years now.
>>
>> Great.  Is it similar, or /exactly/ like this?  I'm only asking because I
>> think it would be useful to have some written down rules and if there are
>> additional tweaks that will improve this proposal, I'd like to hear them.

I suspect suggestions for best practices along with examples are what people
would like to see.  This may be reasonable to do with both the Yocto Project and
OpenEmbedded communities.

Obviously there are currently a large number of existing layers.  So showing how
this works, and examples of how it makes it easier to maintain and manage the
work over the longer term is a really good idea.

(Keep in mind, many of the current layers were originally designed/updated
before there was a large ecosystem of layers.  So a lot of poor examples, of
this kind of maintenance, may exist.  It is a good idea to steer people away
from using these as examples, and even a way to potentially help the maintainers
of those layers evolve into a better and more efficient format.)

--Mark