[yocto] RDEPENDS on package does not include package in rootfs

Dr. Matthias Schöpfer Matthias.Schoepfer at ithinx.io
Thu Aug 17 02:55:09 PDT 2017

Hi Paul et al,

i.A. Dr.-Ing. Matthias  Schöpfer  | ithinx GmbH |  Software Engineer
Phone:  +49 (221) 99589-332 | Fax: +49 (221) 99 589-199  | E-Mail:  Matthias.Schoepfer at ithinx.io

On 08/17/2017 11:27 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On Thursday, 17 August 2017 8:43:41 PM NZST Dr. Matthias Schöpfer wrote:
>> Here is my problem, maybe I misunderstood something. I have a library
>> recipe, lets name it foo, that DEPENDS on mosquitto from
>> meta-intel-iot-middleware. I added a RDEPENDS_${PN} += " libmosquitto1
>> ", as the mosquitto package adds this extra package for the mosquitto
>> library, that library foo depends on. Then I have my app "bar", that
>> depends on "foo". "bar" is added to the image recipe. The rootfs is
>> missing out the package libmosquitto1, and therefore missing the
>> mosquitto library. Workaround is to add libmosquitto explicitly to the
>> Image recipe, but as I understand, this should not me necessary.
> Something is odd here because if your foo library links to libmosquitto1.so.1 then it should already get a runtime dependency on the libmosquitto1 package without you needing to add it. I would perhaps suggest looking at pkgdata -  bitbake -e foo | grep PKGDATA_DIR  and then look in runtime/foo under that and see what RDEPENDS is indicated in there.

Thanks for the hint. All I can say is that it looks good:

RDEPENDS_foo: libstdc++ (>= 6.3.0) glibc (>= 2.25) libcrypto (>= 1.0.2k)
jsoncpp (>= 1.8.0) libmosquitto1 (>= 1.4.10) libcurl (>= 7.53.1) libgcc
(>= 6.3.0) libssl (>= 1.0.2k)

Then, in bar

RDEPENDS_bar: foo (>= 1.4.0-git0e371231) glibc (>= 2.25) jsoncpp (>=
1.8.0) libstdc++ (>= 6.3.0) libgcc (>= 6.3.0)

(foo and bar of course replacements to protect the innocent)

Again, libmosquitto1 is missing in rootfs except if I add the package to
the image recipe.

I am using pyro, if that is of any help.

Thanks,

    Matthias