[yocto] release management

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Tue Aug 15 00:25:42 PDT 2017

On 14-08-17 21:10, Gunnar Andersson wrote:

> Hey Russell
>
> I don't claim to be an authority on best practices but I will share some
> thoughts.
>
> On Sun, 2017-08-13 at 06:58 -0400, Russell Peterson wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> As I learn more about yocto and more importantly gain practical experience
>> with it I have started to think about my release structure.  Is there a
>> “best practices” document or something like that that speaks to this?
>> For example, how does everyone deal with “external” meta layer
>> dependencies?  My software uses poky and meta-openembedded, of course.
>
> We simply use a parent project [1] that includes git submodules, one per
> yocto layer.  I'm of the opinion that if git (only) can be used, why
> introduce other tools?   But it requires you to learn and master that
> feature.

We arrived at exactly the same setup. One parent repository that contains the
project-unique recipes, and submodules for the layers it needs.

It's a lot better than attempting to script things. For one thing, git will
tell you the state of the submodules.

If I rembemer correctly, Android builds use a tool to manage the layer
repositories. I didn't much like it though. And "yet another tool"...

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products