[yocto] Perforce fetcher ignores module and label

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Fri Aug 11 05:52:51 PDT 2017

Hi Katu,

I added back the yocto ml on CC, could you please keep this conversation
on-list?

On 08/11 11:34, Katu Txakur wrote:

> > There's some documentation now in the official Yocto Project
> > documentation location for bitbake fetchers [1].  Prior to my changes
> > there was very little if any documentation, afaik.
> >
> > [1]: http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.3.1/bitbake-user-
> > manual/bitbake-user-manual.html#perforce-fetcher

> > P4PORT

> > I can
> > used.
> >
> > Sorry for not making the label change more clear, but you should be able
> > to simply set SRCREV="labelname" and have the functionality you desire.
> > However, we don't use labels very often internally, so the use of labels
> > in SRCREV isn't tested that often by me.
> >

> I don't use labels that much either, however, I used to be able to write
> the changeslist number as a label and it would
> fetch the code for that changelist. This doesn't work using SRCREV =
> "changelistnumber"

Hmmm... This does work for me using oe-core morty branch and bitbake
1.32 which is the versions where these changes were first applied and
where I did my testing.

Like I have a recipe which I put:

SRCREV = "184127"

The p4 fetcher will go fetch changelist 184127 of the SRC_URI path in
perforce.

Or if I put:

SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"

Then it'll fetch the HEAD/tip of the SRC_URI path in perforce.

Is this not working the same way with poky now?

> > This change to using labels, changelist numbers, and allowing the use of
> > AUTOREV was made so that the perforce fetcher would act more like the
> > other source code control system fetchers.  Prior to my changes to the
> > p4 fetcher, the way that recipes using p4 had to be written seemed
> > rather awkward to me.  The way it is now isn't perfect, but it's closer
> > to how the other fetchers act, I think (and hope).

> > folders
> > current
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand enough about how you use perforce and what you
> > mean by mapping different subfolders.  Can you explain this in a more
> > expanded way to me?  Maybe with some examples?
> >

> What I mean by this is taking folders in different locations in Perforce
> and fetch them to a custom folder structure inside the {WORKDIR}/p4 folder.
> This is an example of how I was doing this with the old version of the
> fetcher:
>
> #leave blank, "", for latest revision
> P4CHANGELIST = "${PR}"
> S = "${WORKDIR}"
> SRC_URI = " \
> p4://${P4USER}:${P4PASSWD}:${P4HOST}:${P4PORT}@Depot/project1/folder1/...;module=subfolderunderp4/src/;label=${P4CHANGELIST}
> \
> p4://${P4USER}:${P4PASSWD}:${P4HOST}:${P4PORT}@Depot/project2/folder3/...;module=subfolderunderp4/pkg/;label=${P4CHANGELIST}
> \
> "
>
> Where folder1 contains the src files and folder3 contains the pkg
> information. These need to be in an specific folder structure for the
> recipe to work.
> I had some issue when adding more than one line because it was trying to
> copy everything to the same p4 folder.

Ah, yeah... Sorry, that is a bit of a shortcoming of my changes.  The
reason I made this change is because putting the given SRC_URI's
repository directly into a directory like ${WORKDIR}/p4/ is how some of
the other fetchers operate and it makes the automatic tasks just work
correctly.  This is how the git fetcher does things so I tried to mimmic
that but maybe I missed some nuance in how the git fetcher deals with
more than one SRC_URI line being a git repo.  I hadn't realized that
there was users of the p4 fetcher who did things like you are doing,
sorry.

I think it should be reasonably easy to make a patch to the p4 fetcher
which will put each SRC_URI line which uses the p4 fetcher into its own
directory within the ${WORKDIR}/p4/ directory such that it supports your
style of fetching.  This then will likely require your recipe to know
that this is the directory structure and properly change into
directories as needed, but it sounds like you already comprehend that.
And for users of the p4 fetcher who only use one SRC_URI line, I believe
they would just need to set the S variable correctly to the directory
name within ${WORKDIR}/p4/ to get the current operation.

If you send a patch to change this, I'm happy to test it for you, please
just put me on CC for the patch so I make sure I see it.

Thanks,
Andrew