[yocto] Problem with mesa and nvidia

Alvaro Garcia maxpowel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 07:35:02 PDT 2017

Hi, my goal is build the core-image-x11 using the nvidia drivers instead of
mesa. My recipe provides the following:

PROVIDES = "virtual/libgl virtual/libgles1 virtual/libgles2 virtual/egl"

and in my local.conf:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libgl = "nvidia-proprietary"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libgles1 = "nvidia-proprietary"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libgles2 = "nvidia-proprietary"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/egl = "nvidia-proprietary"

Then I got the following:
Nothing RPROVIDES 'mesa-driver-i915'
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['core-image-x11',
'packagegroup-core-x11-base', 'packagegroup-core-x11-xserver',
'mesa-driver-i915']

Of course I dont need support for this intel card (and nothing but nvidia,
because my devices use nvidia).
In my custom layer where I can override everything from xorg recipes all
works as expected, but my intention is to build my image by using only the
meta-oe (because I will try to push my recipe to this layer).

I read all these x11 and xorg recipes but did not found mesa-driver-i915
neither something that can help me.

My actual recipe is https://pastebin.com/9VRuXWBU
It's not very complex, just download, compile kernel module and copy files.

My intention is that just modifying the PREFERED_PROVIDER the x11 image
will be built with mesa (by default) or with nvidia drivers.

I'm very new to yocto and maybe I didnt get the yocto philosophy yet so any
advice or tip will be very grateful.

Thank you!