[yocto] Installing shared libraries ncurses for custom application

Marc-Antoine Martin martin.marcantoine at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 09:55:03 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I've have some trouble to add ncurses shared libraries to my recipe.
I want to add a software to my dist and it uses the ncurses shared libraries.

I wrote a recipe for this software but each time I try to build it
with bitbake I have the same issue:
----
QA Issue: /usr/bin/mySoft contained in package mysoft requires
libtinfo.so.5(NCURSES_TINFO_5.0.19991023), but no providers found in
RDEPENDS_mysoft? [file-rdeps]
----

My recipe is quite simple:
----
[...]
SECTION = "console/utils"

DEPENDS = "ncurses glibc"
RDEPENDS_${PN} = "ncurses-libform"

do_compile () {
        oe_runmake
}

do_install () {
       install -d ${D}${bindir}
       install -m 0755 ${WORKDIR}/${PN}-${PV}/nInvaders ${D}${bindir}/
}
----

I tried to use different RDEPENDS like "ncurses-libtinfo
ncurses-libncurses" or "ncurses-terminfo" but each time it stops at
the do_rootfs() process and I get the error:
----
Can't install mysoft-0.1.1-r0 at i586: no package provides
libtinfo.so.5(NCURSES_TINFO_5.0.19991023)
----

Depending on the RDEPENDS I set, I may have the variant:
----
Can't install mysoft-0.1.1-r0 at i586: no package provides
libncurses.so.5(NCURSES_TINFO_5.0.19991023)
----

I don't understand why bitbake cannot find the libs provider. I
checked in the working dir of ncurses and the sysroots dir, the libs
are there. It also well-creates the rpm libtinfo-xxx.rpm and
libncurses-xxx.rpm.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Sincerely,
Marc-Antoine Martin