[yocto] Fwd: [meta-raspberrypi] Unified serial console device option

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 05:53:42 PDT 2017

oops, forgot "reply all"

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Unified serial console device option
To: Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro>

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro> wrote:
> I've seen people requesting it and this approach would unblock them.

It sounds like what they want is a DISTRO. They want everything to
look the same when the user logs in, regardless of the hardware on
which they're running. That's a DISTRO's job, not a hardware issue.

I'm not really in favour of the current situation where raspi3
includes raspi2... Machine configuration files are pretty short as
they are, I'd rather have independent files even if 2-3 lines are
duplicated.

It's a pretty fundamental fact that new hardware comes along to
replace older hardware. I don't think attempting to "contain/restrict"
these changes in machine files is the right solution.

<troll>
if they want hardware that never changes, introduce them to the
beagleboard or the iMX6 line...
</troll>