[yocto] Noobie questions

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Apr 17 04:59:40 PDT 2017

On 2017-04-16 20:23, bahjat khan wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> I'm extremely new to the yocto project, i've done quite a bit of reading on it but i'm still very confused.
>
> I've set my self a simple task of changing the kernel for a Yocto image that i build, the commands i use to build this
> yocto image are:

<text would have been a better choice than an image>
  $ git clone http://git.yoctoproject.org/git/poky
  $ cd poky
  $ git checkout -b fido origin/fido
  $ source oe-init-build-env
  $bitbake core-image-minimal
  $runqemu qemux86

Check out a newer revision - fido is VERY OLD.  Probably best to use morty which is the upcoming 2.3 release

> |$ git clone http://git.yoctoproject.org/git/poky $ cd poky $ git checkout -b fido origin/fido $ source oe-init-build-env
> $bitbake core-image-minimal $runqemu qemux86|
>
> I understand that i need to make changes to the poky.conf file to specify what kernel i want to use (i have a standard
> choice between 3.14 and 3.19).

No, make such changes in your local.conf

> However if i want to use a different kernel such as 4.4, i do this by making the changes in the poky.conf file, copying
> linux-yocto_3.19.bb file and renaming it to linux-yocto_4.4.bb. I also change the SRC_URI to
> "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-4.4.git;barcelone=1;branch=${KRBRANCH},${KMETA};name=machine,meta"
>
> It doesn't seem to find the place where it needs to download 4.4 from even though it's on the yocto website. I can
> download it by simply typing "git clone xxxx"
>
> Also i haven't changed the SRCREV_machine_qemuarm ?= "xxxxxxxxxxxx" numbers, because i don't know what they are or what
> the variable SRCREV_machine_qemuarm is.

You should never need to mess with these settings.