[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] gles2 on raspi3

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 17:45:10 PDT 2017

On Mon 2017-04-17 @ 01:23:25 AM, Andreas Müller wrote:
> > I got chromium building with it (it was a simple DEPENDS) and on the image I
> > just built sound is already working!
> * You have chromium building (and running?). This is on my endless
> TODO-list (have firefox on my image but that crashes more or less
> immediately - wonder what other people do with it)

There's been a nice surge in interest/help with chromium lately (not to
mention getting people to push upstream!) The recipes in OE are still building
a rather old version (54.0.2810.2) but it builds and works for x11 on x86
(qemux86), x86-64 (minnow), armv7 (bbb, raspi3-32), and armv8 (dragon 410c);
it builds for a couple more (firefly and raspi3-64) but I can't get xorg
working so I can't test it running.

You'll probably want to set the following PACKAGECONFIGs:

	PACKAGECONFIG_pn-chromium = "disable-api-keys-info-bar ignore-lost-context impl-side-painting"

And (as I've mentioned) you'll need to add "mesa" to the DEPENDS (although I'm
not sure why it's now needed nor how to make that change in a "nice" way since
the non-accelerated version doesn't need it).

I'm not fully up-to-date on the wayland side, but I believe it builds and
works on wayland for roughly the same list plus beagleX15 and hikey. The
wayland version is slightly older at 53.0.2785.143.

There are people working on newer versions up to 59, but so far nobody's
pushing upstream. I'm hoping to take a look and getting something working. The
way chromium is built changed around the late 53 early 54 timeframe so a new
procedure is needed.

I've been running and testing with vc4 on my raspi3 for the last two hours
or so. I've seen one crash once when I tried to full-screen youtube, but
subsequent attempts have succeeded, so I'm not sure if those two events are
related. I've been doodling around in youtobe for all this time and it's been
mostly working except for that one instance.

> * I have not tested that (I need low latency and plugs for playing music)

The sound came though the HDMI for me. It's the first time I've heard a board
make noise :-)