[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] gles2 on raspi3

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 09:35:37 PDT 2017

On Sat 2017-04-15 @ 04:46:14 PM, Andreas Müller wrote:
> > Does anyone have any of these (or something else?) working?
> >
> Ehm userland gles2 on X11? I would not expect that to work. Experts
> correct me but userland acceleration works for fullscreen apps only.

I have made this work before (which, as you'll see later in this email,
doesn't imply that's how it's supposed to work!):
https://twoerner.blogspot.ca/2015/09/oe-build-of-glmark2-running-on.html

Oh, and I did try both with and without "--fullscreen".

> Why not using FOSS VC4+mesa?

Now's probably a good time to point out I only have a vague idea of what I'm
doing ;-)

I didn't try vc4 because the raspi recipes implied (to me) it was for aarch64
only. The "vc4graphics" MACHINE_FEATURES is only added for raspberrypi3-64.
I'll give this a try though.

Here's another question that only shows my inexperience in this area... does
using mesa always imply software-only rendering? mali (for example) would be
hardware rendering (though through a binary blob) and mesa is the software
fallback?

By the way, with my current setup I have been able to run openGL apps (e.g.
glmark2 by itself) albeit most definitely non-accelerated!

A lot of google searches talk about setting environment variables. Are there
any that might apply?

Best regards,
	Trevor