[yocto] [raspberry] MACHINE var value and boards compatibilities

Andrea Benini andreabenini at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 06:06:44 PDT 2017

Hi List,
As suggested from Andrei I'm posting my issue here to get some help.

I'm able to compile a basic yocto image (rpi-hwup-image.bb) for RaspberryPi
(1/2/3/0) boards just by changing the MACHINE var, but when I set it to
"raspberrypi" my image boots just only on v1 boards (B and B+), the same
happens for "raspberrypi3" boards (3 only) and so on. Boot partition for
each image is basically the same and has its kernel.img (or kernel7.img)
only.
Is there a way to create an universal image (P1, P2, P3 support) that goes
on each board just like what raspbian does ? I mean, I can compile with
MACHINE set to "raspberrypi" and generate various kernels (1,2,3,0) to
match the destination board, It's not heavily optimized but at least it
runs on each single machine
On a cleaned up installation I have left busybox and kernel configs
untouched because I'm doing just bare tests on them, each single image
works but I wish to combine them. I might be able to compile each single
kernel and with a dirty batch hack I can merge them, but, is there a Yocto
way to do it ?

Thanks in advance for your reply
Ben