[yocto] Task dependencies

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Apr 13 00:34:37 PDT 2017

I'm trying to understand why 'perl' is being built for my target
even though I don't mention it in any of the package recipes used
to build that target.  When I used 'taskexp', I found that 'perl:do_build'
only has a single dependent task, namely 'my-image:do_build'
note: no perl packages end up in my image.

This is just one example where it seems bitbake is doing a lot of
unnecessary (certainly un-asked-for) work.

How can I unravel this mystery?

Thanks for any pointers