[yocto] Generic watchdog question

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Sep 26 00:37:19 PDT 2016

A little off-topic but driven by some recent changes in OE-core.

My board has two watchdog devices - one on the SoC and the
other is an external device.  With my latest kernel (4.1.15)
I have these devices:

   # ls -l /dev/watch*
   crw------- 1 root root  10, 130 Jan  3  1970 /dev/watchdog
   crw------- 1 root root 251,   0 Jan  3  1970 /dev/watchdog0
   crw------- 1 root root 251,   1 Jan  3  1970 /dev/watchdog1

I've only been able to get my watchdog to "feel happy" when I
use /dev/watchdog1 as the device being watched over by the
watchdog processes.  I'm just wondering what those other devices
are - maybe /dev/watchdog is supposed to be a composite (although
that doesn't seem to be the case)

Can anyone explain how this is expected to work, especially in
light of the recent changes to the watchdog recipes in OE-core?

Thanks