[yocto] Kernel too old with core-image-minimal for Pine64

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sun Sep 11 14:01:17 PDT 2016

Hi Montez,

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:27:12 Mont3z Claros wrote:
> I'm working on a bsp layer for SBC Pine64 and my image is successfully
> generated but I'm getting "FATAL: kernel too old" when booting the
> rootfs init.
>
> My kernel is version 3.10 and I used Linaro 5.3 to compile all
> components of the image. I've tried adding: OLDEST_KERNEL = "3.10" and
> I also try using Linaro 4.9 but I still get the same error.

When you say you've tried adding OLDEST_KERNEL, where did you set that?

Another thing to note - conf/bitbake.conf sets OLDEST_KERNEL_aarch64 = "3.14",
and since on Pine64 that override would presumably apply, unless you are also
using an override when you set your value I would strongly suspect your value
is being overridden. Run bitbake -e | less and then search for OLDEST_KERNEL
with / to confirm - you'll be able to see not just the final value but the
history of how the value got set.

To avoid this you'll likely need to set your OLDEST_KERNEL value with an
override - the machine name should work i.e. assuming your MACHINE is "pine64"
you would do:

OLDEST_KERNEL_pine64 = "3.10"

Cheers,
Paul