[yocto] vlc experience?

Takashi Matsuzawa tmatsuzawa at uievolution.com
Thu Sep 8 03:51:38 PDT 2016

Hello Yocto.

I am trying to build and run vlc on my fido based environment (genericx86 machine), but so far failing to play most of the multimedia files.
I just wonder any of you have similar experience and hopefully has a clue.

vlc player build OK without problem, by just adding vlc by IMAGE_INSTALL_append, vlc recipe version is vlc_2.1.4, and I can launch it from sat desktop, and select files to be played.

But, When I tried the following multimedia samples, I cannot play most of them.

xxx.mp3 - NG (mega not support)
http://www.gomplayer.jp/img/sample/mp4_h264_aac.mp4 - NG (h264 not support)
http://www.gomplayer.jp/img/sample/mp4_mpeg4_aac.mp4 - NG (mp4v not support)
http://www.gomplayer.jp/img/sample/mpeg2_mpeg2_ac3.mpg - NG (video only, a52 not support)
http://www.gomplayer.jp/img/sample/mpeg2_mpeg2_lpcm.mpg - OK (mpg and llcm supported)

The error message I get is the following.

"No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "mpga". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

I googled for this and a few suggestions on various forums are that you may need additional codecs installed.
But as I inspect by vlc --list-verbose, and also look into /usr/lib/vlc/plugins folder, I believe modules corresponding to mega, h264, mp4v, a52 are there.
(At least, these names are listed in the list and corresponding module files are there.)

I have looked into the vlc source, and I think its codec selection mechanism is related to its own var_xxxx variable database, but may need more time to learn (and compare) how it should be working.

Well, in case if there is any known information related this, I highly appreciated.
I want a media player that I can use for my apps's testing (as a reference).