[yocto] Yocto and Google protobuffer

Maciej Borzęcki maciej.borzecki at rndity.com
Thu Sep 1 08:56:56 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Pietro <pulsarpietro at posteo.net> wrote:
> Herman van Hazendonk <me at herrie.org>
> writes:
>
>> If it takes the wrong version, it could be your layers aren't in the
>> right order. That's the first thing to check.
>>
>> You might want to try to run bitbake with
>>
>> -f protobuf -c cleanall or -f protobuf-native -c cleanall
>>
>> This will remove all locally ;)
>>
>> Then rebuild it... I haven't played much with the -native bits, so not
>> sure how those work.
>>
> I needed to specify DEPENDS = "protobuf-native" to get it working, I
> would be really interested to understand exactly what that does, but I
> must admit to myself I can't understand everything in a single shot.

Quoting my first email:
>> All you need to do,
>>is include meta-oe in your layers (bblayers.conf) and have
>> protobuf-native listed in DEPENDS inside your package recipe.

DEPENDS lists build time dependencies, like libraries, tools etc.
protobuf-native, by convention, means that the package was built for
your build host. This enables you to run protoc during the build to
generate proper language bindings.

> So never mind.
>
> I still have another question :-)
>
> I am about to create another recipe for the gprc library for C++, to
> build it on my local machine has been pretty simple:
>
> $ git clone -b $(curl -L http://grpc.io/release)
> https://github.com/grpc/grpc
> $ cd grpc
> $ git submodule update --init
> $ make
> $ [sudo] make install
>
> The recipe I have created so far would clone/checkout the source code
> from a GIT repo or something similar and then the build process could
> start straight away.
>
> In my case I have an additional step:
>
> git submodule update --init

There's a submodule fetcher, when setting SRC_URI use `gitsm://`
instead of `git://` see
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.1/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html#gitsm-fetcher
for details.

Maciej Borzecki