[yocto] Yocto and Google protobuffer

Pietro pulsarpietro at posteo.net
Thu Sep 1 01:40:32 PDT 2016

Maciej Borzęcki
<maciej.borzecki at rndity.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Pietro <pulsarpietro at posteo.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am new to the Yocto building system and I could be talking nonsense. I
>> used to work with buildroot time ago and I remember there is an area
>> where compiled software/packages/tools previously built are "staged" and
>> used when building other packages.
>>
>> Is there something like that available with Yocto ? Specifically I would
>> like to add a package which uses the Google Protocol Buffer, I do not have
>> administrator rights on the machine and I can't install the packages I
>> need system wise.
>>
>> Is it possible to add recipes and use them at building time without
>> including them in the image being generated ?
>>
>> A good example for that would be the protoc, the protocol buffer description
>> file compiler.
>>

> There is a recipe for protobuf in meta-oe (2.6.1). All you need to do,
> is include meta-oe in your layers (bblayers.conf) and have
> protobuf-native listed in DEPENDS inside your package recipe.
>
> The protoc compiler will be available in the PATH when package is
> being built, so autotools checks like AC_CHECK_PROG/AC_PATH_PROG
> should be able to find it.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Maciej Borzecki
> RnDity
Thanks a lot.

I have added the DEPENDS line and it indeed downloads and build the some
protobuf related stuff, where did you get the dependency name from ?
I can't see the protobuf-native as a recipe in the meta-oe website :

https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/meta-oe/

I have just realised that GRPC (http://www.grpc.io/) is needed for my
project, it is a library which uses the protobuffers, is there a
recipe/package which provides them around or do I need to create my own
recipe ?

I would like to check the root filesystem being generated as part of the
build process, where is it ?