[yocto] How to handle meta-intel/openembedded repos with multiple developers

Edward Wingate edwingate8 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:22:34 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:
>  At some point during product development a lead/architect needs to make the
> decision to 'freeze' development and at that point everything is tagged/branched
> and only backports are used from them on.  (If the number of backports gets too
> large, you MIGHT decide to selectively rebase.)

I'm currently trying to figure out with how to control external layers
in my Yocto build and found this thread.  I'm a little unclear on how
to track a release to the version used on non-company layers.  Say I'm
using poky, meta-openembedded, meta-xilinx and then my own layer,
meta-me. When I freeze development and do a release, I can tag
meta-me, but because I also treat non-company assets as RO, I
shouldn't tag poky, meta-openembedded nor meta-xilinx (or should I? Is
this where I use git's lightweight tagging as opposed to annotated
tags?) When "everything is tagged/branched", does that somehow include
tagging the non-company assets?  Thanks for any help.

Ed