[yocto] curl-native and ca-bundle

Blaettler, Michael michael.blaettler at siemens.com
Tue Oct 25 23:20:24 PDT 2016

Hi Patrick

I just checked the source code of curl.

In acinclude.m4 on line 2560, you'll find:
dnl CURL_CHECK_CA_BUNDLE
dnl -------------------------------------------------
dnl Check if a default ca-bundle should be used
dnl
dnl regarding the paths this will scan:
dnl /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt Debian systems
dnl /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt Redhat and Mandriva
dnl /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt old(er) Redhat
dnl /usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt FreeBSD
dnl /etc/ssl/cert.pem OpenBSD, FreeBSD (symlink)
dnl /etc/ssl/certs/ (ca path) SUSE

Later in the function there's a for loop, searching every path for the certificate-chain (if --with-ca-bundle is not set).
for a in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt \
         /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt \
         /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt \
         /usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt \
         /etc/ssl/cert.pem \
         "$cac"; do
    if test -f "$a"; then
        ca="$a"
        break
    fi
done

Regarding this configuration script, removing --with-ca-bundle in curl-native should not cause any problems.

Kind regards

Michael