[yocto] Two pythons

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Oct 14 09:37:13 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:

> On 12 October 2016 at 18:58, Michael Callahan <coder.callahan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just moved my project from Fido to Krogoth and now I have two
>> pythons (2.7 and 3).  This bumps the size of my image by approximately
>> 25%.  What would be the most reasonable way to get back to just one
>> python?  Ideally I'd like a magical setting to get rid of python3
>> because there is no custom code for that one but I suppose with enough
>> work I could get all of the python2 code working with python3.
>>

> Sadly you can't have a magic option to flip from one to the other as code
> isn't compatible.  In general master has moved to be 99% Py3 - with smartpm
> being the only major python2 recipe left - but I thought Krogoth was still
> Py2 by default so shouldn't be in your image by default.
>
> I suggest you use the usual tools to find out why python2 and python3 are
> in your images, and see what you can change to have just one.

Yeah, as Ross says, the usual tools are best there. There are some things
you can do to avoid the python dependency for certain recipes, but it has
to be dealt with on a case by case basis, and of course depends on what
your image is pulling in.

For example,
https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/compare/master...kergoth:systemtap-python3
splits
out systemtap-dtrace into a separate recipe which is pulled in via
RRECOMMENDS, so I can use BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS to exclude it for images that
don’t need it (dtrace is the only thing in systemtap that needs python3).
https://github.com/openembedded/meta-openembedded/compare/master...kergoth:lirc-python-3
does
the same for lirc.
--