[yocto] When shall one erase tmp and sstate-cache?

Michel D'HOOGE michel.dhooge at free.fr
Tue Nov 29 01:21:59 PST 2016

Hi,

I "frequently" have the same problem as Gary:

I then erase the build/tmp and (maybe) the sstate-cache folders...
and most of the time, the errors disappear.
However if erasing tmp is not such a big deal to re-bake everything,
it is much longer when the sstate cache is removed!

So my question is: when shall I erase those folders?

My understanding is that bitbake is very good at detecting changes
in recipes. But on the other hand, it doesn't check for changes in
python libs.
So every time one upgrades a layer (through git), it is advised to
erase build/tmp. But when is it also better to erase sstate-cache?

Thanks for your insightful explanations.

Michel