[yocto] Problem imaging a hard drive

Ronald Oakes ron at ron-oakes.us
Fri Nov 25 14:35:23 PST 2016

Well, I partially solved my problem.  It turns out I had a CD in the
computer with an old boot image on it that was loading and causing
great confusion.

Now, grub appears to be loading OK, but doesn't look like it has a
valid configuration to actually boot the image loaded onto the hard
drive.

My commands (based on the link in my first email) were:
- Format the hard drive using mkfs.ex4 -L <name>
- Mount it (usually by just unplugging and replugging the USB to SATA adaptor)
- Copy the data from the mounted image file using cp -aV
- Add grub using "grub2-install --recheck
--boot-directory=/run/media/ron/<label>boot /dev/sdc"

My educated guess is that either I'm missing something in my
grub2-install command, or there is something missing in my build or
build configuration that is causing the grub configuration to not be
picked up when or where needed..

Ron Oakes