[yocto] Use recipes but not whole layer

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Nov 23 02:50:50 PST 2016

On 23 November 2016 at 10:00, Oliver <urnen81 at yahoo.es> wrote:

> When a layer is included in the build (conf/bblayers.conf), all the
> bbappends and distro configurations, apply to the current build. Is there
> something additional which the build is affected after a layer included?

As per the Yocto Project guidelines, layers that do this are broken.  A BSP
layer should only introduce changes that affect the BSP, distro layers
shouldn't contain general purpose recipes, and everything that is
distro-specific should be isolated using overrides.

If a layer breaks these rules in dramatic ways I'd start by filing a bug or
patches, but you may find the whitelist class useful:

https://github.com/ostroproject/meta-ostro/blob/master/meta-ostro/classes/whitelist.bbclass

Ross