[yocto] [sysvinit] Problem with disabling sysvinit service

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at majess.pl
Sun Nov 13 06:51:41 PST 2016

Dear All,

Maybe here I would find answer to question which puzzles me from some
time.

The problem:

Disable syslog service on startup of sysvinit based board.
(syslog is defined in e.g. /etc/rc5.d/S20syslog -> /etc/init.d/syslog)

Syslog on my setup is provided by busybox.

I was trying to find where 'update-rc.d ... syslog ...' is called in the
poky (2.1.2) source tree but without any success.

Then, I've discovered that it is appended to INITSCRIPT_NAME variable
and further processed by update-rc.d.bbclass

Is there any method/recipe which would allow just removing S20klogd
symlink from /etc/rcX.d from the created rootfs?

The goal is to have syslog installed (in this case built into busybox),
but disabled at boot up time.

Any help is more than welcome.

Tanks in advance,
Łukasz Majewski