[yocto] Correct way to build patched kernel modules

Mert Can Ergun mert.ergun at mikro-tasarim.com.tr
Mon Nov 14 07:01:50 PST 2016

Hi!

I am currently using a kernel bbappend file to build my kernel and kernel
modules. My bbappend file looks like this:

linux-imx_%.bbappend
SUMMARY = "Patches applied to Freescale kernel"
DESCRIPTION = "blank"

FILESPATH_prepend := "${THISDIR}/patches:"

SRC_URI += " \
	file://defconfig-mt \
	**patches for kernel modules appear here**
"

do_configure_prepend() {
            cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig-mt ${WORKDIR}/defconfig
}

However, this approach doesn't feel right and I want to seperate kernel
and its modules from each other at build.

What I tried to do is remove patches from the bbappend file and keep
defconfig file intact. Create a new bb file and put patches inside there
instead. So new architecture looks like this:

linux-imx_%.bbappend
SUMMARY = "Patches applied to Freescale kernel"
DESCRIPTION = "MT6415CA"

FILESPATH_prepend := "${THISDIR}/patches:"

SRC_URI += " \
	file://defconfig-mt \
"

do_configure_prepend() {
            cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig-mt ${WORKDIR}/defconfig
}

mt-module_0.1.bb
SUMMARY = "Patches applied to Freescale kernel"
DESCRIPTION = "blank"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"

inherit module

FILESPATH_prepend := "${THISDIR}/patches:"

SRC_URI += " \
	**patches appear here**
"

Now my kernel append module doesn't even apply defconfig changes and new
bb file doesn't do anything either. What's the right way to do this?

-------------------------------
Mert Can Ergun
Yazilim Gelistirme Muhendisi

Mikro-Tasarim Ltd.