[yocto] Help with out of (python) tree python modules in SDK

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Nov 4 11:55:34 PDT 2016

I am on Krogoth.  I have an autotools inheriting recipe.  The configure script runs a python script (in repo), that imports an out-of-python-distro module.

I can’t seem to wrap my head around the correct way to express this in terms of dependencies, such that when I build with an SDK, I can import this module.

What does seem to work is adding nativesdk-python-foomodule to RRECOMMENDS_python-core_append_class-nativesdk in the python recipe.  Is there a better way?

My intuition says that:

DEPENDS += “python-foomodule-native”

translated to words means: to build this package, you need python-foomodule-native.  And given that the target -dev packages get included in the SDK when you do this…the same doesn’t appear to be the case for python modules?

I feel like I am missing a fundamental concept.

Thx for your time.

-brad bishop