[yocto] [sstate-cache] using sstate-cache in parallel builds

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Thu Nov 3 02:57:27 PDT 2016

On 02-11-16 15:17, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 2 November 2016 at 13:36, Chris Z. <winotu.email at gmail.com
> <mailto:winotu.email at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is it secure to use in parallel sstate-cache for building images for
>     different target machines ?
>
> Short answer: yes.
>
> The hashes will be different so there's no risk of conflicting files for the
> target, so it's only native recipes that may conflict.  The worst case
> situation here in two parallel builds is that they'll both build the same
> recipe and put it into sstate, there isn't any risk of corruption.

Could I take this one step further:

Would it be safe to store the sstate-cache for a bunch of builds into a single
directory, with builds running in parallel contributing to that?

Each build would be using a different set of layers, different machines, and
building different images, but there would be a lot of common things (usually
they all refer to the same OE branches).

We use a build server to share out sstate-cache for various builds, but as
projects are getting added, it's getting more complicated with projects using
the sstate-caches of other projects. It would make things quite simple if all
builds just pointed to the same sstate-cache directory, so they could share
whatever they want.

Would that work? I'd think so, but never dared to actually make it so...

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products