[yocto] DEPENDS problem with core-image-full-cmdline

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu May 26 14:01:31 PDT 2016

On Thu, 26 May 2016 17:03:13 Jonathan Haws wrote:
> > DEPENDS is built-time for the recipe, so the concept of per-package
> > build dependencies doesn't really make sense.
> >
> > DEPENDS = "foo bar" are build dependencies
> > RDEPENDS_${PN} = "foo bar" are package-specific runtime dependencies.
>
> Ross, thanks for clearing that up.  Is there anything in the
> documentation that talks about that?  I've read through most of the docs
> and don't remember any details about that distinction.

I guess we don't cover that explicitly, other than in the reference manual
entries for each variable. We probably need a small section on dependencies
in the "Writing a new Recipe" section:

  http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#new-recipe-writing-a-new-recipe

That can cover the difference between build-time and runtime dependencies
and the usage of DEPENDS and RDEPENDS respectively.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton