[yocto] any pointers to a yocto-based image to use as a live install utility?

Rudolf J Streif rudolf.streif at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:40:54 PDT 2016

Hi Robert,

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 06:18:34 AM Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   specifically in the context of powerpc systems, are there any
> suggestions for an image that could be used to boot an older powerpc
> system, running completely out of ram, and using that as an install
> utility which would then be responsible for detecting/formatting a
> hard drive, creating/formatting filesystems, downloading/installing
> the OS, post-install configuration and so on?

I am not entirely sure if I understand your requirements correctly but this https://github.com/mendersoftware/mender[1] could eventually be a starting point. The good news is that it already comes with YP/OE recipes and integration. However, it's currently only for ARM-based systems with u-boot.

Another approach, though still in its infancy and a simple PoC, is the GENIVI Software Management (SWM). At the core, there are SqashFS images that may contain partition images, software packages, configuration files, etc. together with a manifest (JSON) that instructs the SWM what to do. (https://github.com/GENIVI/genivi_swm)[2]

Cheers,
:rjs

--------
[1] https://github.com/mendersoftware/mender