[yocto] Newbie Question regarding custom layer and populate_rootfs

public-hk at iks.rwth-aachen.de public-hk at iks.rwth-aachen.de
Mon May 23 12:17:25 PDT 2016

Hi Stephan, hi Herrie,

thank you for your replies to my question.

>> So here are the questions:
>> 1) Why my version of the psplash executable - even though it was built -
>> is not installed in the root fs?
> Did you manually build your splash recipe (bitbake psplash-myproject)?
> This does not include it in an image yet. It must be added to image
> features either manually or through a dependency.
> The psplash-raspberry package seems to be included in the dependencies
> here
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-raspberrypi/tree/conf/machine/include/rpi-base.inc#n51 - maybe there is a chance to override this in your local.conf
> The cleanest way might be to include this in an own machine definition
> and override it afterwards.

I have finally added a machine raspberry2p which includes the original
raspberrypi2 machine definition - and then defines another SPLASH reference.
That worked.

>> 2) I have been able to review the logs from build steps and almost
>> everything related to the package creation in tmp/work subfolder of my
>> build project. But how can I see which packages are installed during the
>> populate_rootfs step? There seems to be no dedicated log file.
> There is a rather complex conglomerate of piped commands here, which
> does this: https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94953

What helped my a lot were the commands

bitbake-layers show-layers and
bitbake -g </image>/ && emacs pn-depends.dot

That reference is a really valuable link!

Thank you and best regards

Hauke