[yocto] Newbie Question regarding custom layer and populate_rootfs

public-hk at iks.rwth-aachen.de public-hk at iks.rwth-aachen.de
Thu May 19 23:44:28 PDT 2016

Hi all,
I have recently started to use Yocto. I also figured out a lot y myself
already. However, there is one problem I just can not solve. Sorry if
this is a dumb question..

My purpose is to create a customized distro for the Raspberry 2 which I
managed to get up and running. Yesterday, I tried to create a customized
splash image on bootup. That can be done via the psplash tool.

The current image that I create incorporates a recipe from the layer
meta-raspberry/recipes-core/psplash which adds a bbappend File and a
corresponding header which origins back to PNG file. This rule is
responsible for the typical bootup screen.

I myself created another layer meta-myproject and added a copy of the
same subfolder meta-myproject/recipes-core/psplash with ANOTHER header
file originating from ANOTHER image file. Also, I copied the
configuration file from meta-raspberry/conf to meta-myproject/conf (with
some minor adaptations) and added my new layer meta-myproject to the
bblayers-conf file in my main build folder.

Once running bitbake, I see that the psplash rules given in the
meta-raspberry layer causes a psplash-raspberry to be created. And due
to my new layer meta-myproject another version is created named
psplash-myproject. That all to be reviewd in tmp/work subfolder of my
build folder. So, that all worked out rather well.
If I afterwards run the step to create the root file system
(populate_rootfs), only the psplash-raspberry package seems to be
installed: There is only
/usr/bin/psplash-raspberry but there is no /usr/bin/psplash-myproject.

Copying the psplash-myproject binary to the raspberry manually and
setting up everything allows to display my image.

I also tried to deactivate the original recipe from
meta-raspberry/recipes-core/psplash by using BBMASK. This, however leads
to an error message during bitbake complaining that the RDEPENDENCY
psplash-raspberry can not be resoved.

So here are the questions:
1) Why my version of the psplash executable - even though it was built -
is not installed in the root fs?
2) I have been able to review the logs from build steps and almost
everything related to the package creation in tmp/work subfolder of my
build project. But how can I see which packages are installed during the
populate_rootfs step? There seems to be no dedicated log file.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thank you and best regards

Hauke