[yocto] How to pre-install a .deb file into rootfs

Colin Helliwell colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Thu May 19 09:36:26 PDT 2016

I have a recipe (for kura) which uses a do_compile to run kura's build
process, and this in itself generates a .deb (i.e. I'm not doing anything
within the *recipe* to create the .deb - it's done for me by kura's build
steps). I can copy the .deb to the target and use dpkg on there to install
it.

However I'd like to have it 'pre-installed' into the rootfs instead. I've
referred to tips such as
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2014-July/020583.html - but a
couple of questions/issues:

1. What internal variables can I use - at this stage in the bitbake - to set
'/path/to/' to point to the recipe's directory?

2. Even if I [temporarily] hard-code the full path to the .deb in the image
recipe, the ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND 'dpkg' step is error-free but all I'm
seeing in the rootfs is the .zip that the .deb contains i.e. it doesn't seem
to be doing actual installation of the package?  (I'm not too familiar with
.deb's, so I'm not sure which part of its content actually triggers/defines
the copying & installation of the enclosed files - I guess this doesn't get
shown by a 'dpkg --contents'?)