[yocto] Branch Maintenance process clarification

akuster808 akuster808 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 11:11:09 PDT 2016

Hello,

I am reviewing the stable branch maintenance for Yocto and would like
some clarification on a few steps.
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_branch_maintenance

6. Split out any bitbake changes and send them to the bitbake-devel
mailing list (marking them with the appropriate stable version in the
subject line e.g. [1.20])

AK] I have not seen this being done in the past. Should we start doing
this or update the process ?

7. Split out OE-Core changes and create an openembedded-core-contrib
branch containing them; send the cover letter only (marking it as such
in the subject) to the openembedded-core mailing list.

AK] I don't have write access to do this, so this will be a problem.

8. Split out any meta-yocto changes and create a poky-contrib branch
containing them; send the cover letter only (marking it as such in the
subject) to the poky mailing list.

AK] Is this required?

I do agree that the downstream repos are where the changes should be
pushed first  then feed poky. This is not what I have seen happen in the
past nor did I do it for dizzy either.

regards,
Armin