[yocto] Build toolchain only (crosstools substitute?)

Michael Habibi mikehabibi at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:38:16 PDT 2016

I have been a few months out of researching Yocto, so I'm having trouble
caching it all back in (a lot to absorb!). Excuse me if this is answered
clearly in the documentation (I glanced around and I know you can build
relocatable toolchains, etc, but I suppose I'm asking more of a
philosophical question).

I have long-term plans to change our distribution at work over from a
custom distribution to one built by Yocto - but this is a few months to a
year out.

In the mean time, we need a new toolchain simply to update our glibc and
gcc packages. I understand that yocto 2.1 can build gcc 5.3 w/ glibc 2.23
support. I was wondering if this would be considered an appropriate
exercise to use the yocto framework to build solely a toolchain to be used
with a custom distribution (understanding that the custom distribution
would have to be modified to source and use the new toolchain).

We typically use crosstools to generate the toolchain, but it is a bit
outdated and only builds gcc 5.2 (which has some bugs that were fixed in
5.3). Essentially I want to use Yocto recipes as a substitute for
crosstools-ng.

Thoughts on this? Terrible idea? Decent idea?

Thanks,
Michael